Well, I have yet to make such a post. I think it is about time! I have been thinking, though I listen quite a huge amount of music, there are a few albums that I always return back to, so let me intro you some music that I think that you should listen to in no particular order!
1. A Mark, A Mission, A Brand, A Scar by Dashboard Confessional
If you know me well enough, you will know that Dashboard Confessional is one of my favourite bands of all time. This album was the one that really made me a huge fan! Chris Carrabba is an amazing singer and song writer. Tracks like “Several Ways to Die Trying” shows how crazy his voice is, he held one crazy note for 5 bars straight. No track on this album is boring! Every track is perfect in its own right! Extremely musical and it shows very good songwriting! It is not just emo punk ok! This whole album is fantastic! The other albums just can’t really hold up to the legacy of this album, I have yet to listen to another Dashboard album that is as good. Dusk and Summer came quite close, I haven’t checked out Alter The Ending and Crooked Shadows yet, perhaps they might be better!
2. Twin Forks by Twin Forks
Think Dashboard but singing folk songs! Don’t think folk songs aren’t cool ok? It is really very nice! Twin Forks is another album that I wouldn’t mind listening to throughout because it is so well written! Too bad they stopped playing, Twin Forks is a very cool band!
3. 步步 by 五月天
HAHA, obviously I cannot leave out my favourite band right? HAHA! This shouldn’t be a surprise to people, this was the band that made me start listening to Mandopop! JJ Lin, Namewee and others all fall behind them! Of course this is a compilation album, but it features album exclusive tracks! This album has 30 songs for the same price for one! So you know, it is very worth your money! From the rock to the soft ballads, they excel in every song they produce! Just check it out lah! It is amazing, I am sure it will convert you to become a Mandopop fan too!
4. Christmas by Michael Buble
So, after my favourite band, would come my favourite singer! Michael Buble is a hard one. Though I REALLY REALLY love his voice, there isn’t one particular album that I love every single track, except this one. HAHA! Though it really is my favourite Christmas album! Not to mention that this was the first CD I have ever bought in my life! This album is recorded live with no click! Think about that! HAHA! It is such an amazing feat of music engineering and amazing musicians! Not to mention Michael’s voice is definitely suited for Christmas songs! If you haven’t listened to one track, you really should check out the whole album!
5. The World From The Other Side Of The Moon by Phillip Philips
Phillip Phillips holds a very soft spot in my heart! Phillip Phillips was the person that I only know one track of, “Gone Gone Gone” from Spider-Man. Then when I saw the album in HMV in Marina Square, I just decided to give it a chance and oh boy was I blown away! His music was crazy good! From the catchy guitar pop songs to the full band zingers. Gosh I love every single track! His following album, “Behind The Light” was great too! I think quite different from his first album, but I think his first album will always be my favourite! I dunno I Guess I should just wait for his third to come this Sat! (AHAHA, Thanks Miss Tan! 🙂 )
6. Wild Heart by Urban Rescue
If anyone wants to hear modern Christian Music. I think it does not get any better than this. I have been trying to find modern Christian music that has both the sound of today and the spirit of the older worship/praise songs. That is why I really like Young and Free! Y&F has really good stuff, but I think Urban Rescue deserves it more because they excel in both Praise and Worship songs! Not to mention that I feel Urban Rescue has more of a band sound.
7. Cathedrals by Tenth Avenue North
Tenth Avenue North has really quite a lot of great songs! I think Cathedrals was my favourite because of how the album sound together! Its tracks are modern sounding and every track sound like they belong together! I used to run with this album on! HAHA! Not that the other Tenth Avenue North albums aren’t good, but I really prefer this album over the rest!
8. 我的朋友、我的同学，我爱过的一切 That Girl In Pinafore Soundtrack
I think not many people know this, but I really liked this movie! I actually watched this movie 3 times in the cinema, bought the CD then bought the DVD. This was the movie that made me realise that Singapore had a Chinese music history! That all the songs used in the movie were all by Singaporeans! XinYao has been in my heart ever since! It has this fresh and youthful sound to it! If you can still find a copy, you can go ahead and listen! It is great! Very fun stuff! Go experience a bit of history of Singapore music!
9. 起飞 Drama Soundtrack
Another recommendation of a XinYao album will be this one. This album was cheaper and has more tracks! The quality of the tracks are really quite good too! They really made the old tracks have new life in this show and the songs were very good! This album features more recent songs too! So if you are in for a taste of Singaporean Chinese Music, go for it man!
10. Where The Light is: Live In Los Angeles by John Mayer
This album has a special place in my heart too! Whenever I am in the mood for some John Mayer, this album will be my guilty pleasure! It was the album that really made me want to be a better musician. I remember asking Bro Leb who his favourite drummers were and among them were JJ Johnson and Steve Jordan. I remember practicing a piece in My Drum School, Belief. This album really bring back some memories! Though it has been quite some time since I last listened to it, but it is really John Mayer at his peak! Every budding Musician should check it out!
11. Memory Lane by Mcfly
Haha, I really enjoyed this album, but I almost did not add it in because even though it is nice, I don’t exactly follow McFly that much! However, a good album is a good album! This album is another compilation album, it is really good though, affordable too! The music is really fun, pop punk? Haha! McFly has very nice melodic stuff while they also have their nice punk stuff too!
So there are a few other bands and singers that I enjoy, but they are not above probably because I haven’t heard an album that I REALLY REALLY like from them yet! Most of these people, I still do follow, but perhaps they haven’t produced a great album yet!
- Charlie Lim – He has REALLY nice stuff, but not all his songs are my cup of tea.
- Wakin Chau – Just started listening only! His voice is quickly becoming a quick favourite!
- Superband – Just started listening too, but high chance! The first album is really good!
- Hillsongs – They are very good! Perhaps I just have a lack of their older albums, but I probably listened to their songs more than the above. I play their songs so often!
- Jason Mraz – His new album would be a top favourite if profanity wasn’t in it, but yeah he is VERY good!
- JJ Lin – His voice is SOOO nice! Though once again, haven’t had a best album yet! Perhaps 和自己对话, but not all are perfect. Though kudos to JJ for trying to use binaural technology to record his album!
- Jonathan Lee – OH, I really like his live album, Sense and Sensibility, but once again, not all tracks! Though it is VERY good stuff! I love his manly voice!
- Lifehouse – especially Out Of The Wasteland! They are really clean and well written music!
- Martin Smith – God’s Great Dance Floor Step 2 is VERY good too! Actually not much complaint for this album! This could be above, but I Guess I just don’t follow him THAT much either!
- Mika – His falsetto is crazy and I really love his happy songs!
- Rend Collective – I really like them! I think in a lot of ways better than Hillsong! Just not all tracks!
- Switchfoot – I kinda follow them because everyone in church does? However, I am only ok only! I think Vice Versus is probably my favourite!
- Namewee – This Malaysian singer so dope man! His songs are creative and I learned so much! The only complaint is that I don’t have one particular album that I really like!
So yeah, hope you like this list! Do check them out! They are really good music that I have curated over a LONG span of 6 years! See if you like what I like!